Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Horace, Ode 1.38

Persicos odi, puer, apparatus;
displicent nexae philyra coronae;
mitte sectari rosa quo locorum
sera moretur.

Simplici myrto nihil allabores
sedulus curo: neque te ministrum
dedecet myrtus neque me sub arta
vite bibentem.



I hate Persian trappings, slave;
the crowns tied with lime-tree displease me;
do not pursue where of all places the
late rose delays.

I desire that you not take the trouble to
add anything to simple myrtle: nor is myrtle
unsuitable for you, attending, or for me, drinking
under a narrow vine.

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Persian is a very ancient language and wording used in this language do have long list of words. Translating a Persian language require a rich knowledge of this language. best translation online

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was written in Latin; Horace did not read Persian.

      Delete
  3. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it. chinese translation

    ReplyDelete